Founded by King Otho on the 1st June, 1834, for the Greeks and Philhellens who had contributed to the liberation of Greece (Nos. 3 and 4). The officers received it in silver, the sub-officers in bronze, and the privates in iron. The Greek inscription on the obverse is : "Otho, King of Greece", and on the reverse, "To the heroic combatants of the Fatherland". It is also worn suspended by a bright blue ribbon.
Source : the book of orders of knighthood and decorations of honour of all nations, sir Bernard BURKE, 1858