This decoration was founded on the 5 th December, 1851. It consists, for officers, of a silver buckle, on which is given the number of years of service, within a wreath of olive and oak leaves above two crossed swords, and, for sub-officers and guard-soldiers, of a medal with the words : "Trouwe Dienst" (Loyal service) above a trophy of standards and weapons, which partly cover the above words ; while beneath the trophy is seen within a semicircle, the word "Schuttery" (National Guard). The whole is of silver, surrounded by an olive and oak wreath, and covered by a civic crown. The officers fasten it on the left breast, while the sub-officers and privates wear it suspended by an orange coloured watered ribbon. It is conferred on those who have served, irreproachably, in the National Guard for fifteen years. Active service out of the town of domicile, counts double.
Source : the book of orders of knighthood and decorations of honour of all nations, sir Bernard BURKE, 1858